02 Fully Funded PhD Programs at Stockholm University, Sweden

  • Reading time:5 mins read

If you’re a Masters degree holder and seeking Fully Funded PhD Programs, Stockholm University, Sweden has several online applications open for PhD programs. Explore the PhD opportunities across diverse research areas and submit your application soon.

1. Fully Funded PhD Position in Application of Machine Learning to Advance Bathymetric Seafloor Mapping and Data Compilation

Summary of PhD Program:

As our dependence on the oceans grows and the health of the oceans becomes threatened, knowledge of the depth of the seafloor (bathymetry) is essential for understanding climate dynamics, marine ecosystems, resource management, risk managements and much more.

Recognizing the critical importance of seafloor mapping, the Nippon Foundation-GEBCO Seabed 2030 project was launched in 2017 with the goal of inspiring ocean mapping and delivering a complete map of the world’s ocean floor by the year 2030 for the benefit of humankind. While the available high-resolution seafloor mapping data has increased, covering about 6% of the world’s oceans in 2017 and almost 25 % in 2024, new technologies and approaches will be needed to help fill the remaining 75% of the seafloor that has not yet been directly mapped.

Application Deadline: 15 June 2024

View Details

2. Fully Funded PhD Position in Marine Geology: Arctic Ocean borealization during past warm climates: signals from planktonic foraminifera

Summary of PhD Program:

Arctic Atlantification, involving the increasing intrusion of relatively warm, salty and nutrient rich ocean waters from the Atlantic into the Arctic Ocean, is strengthening under global warming. A still poorly understood aspect of this process is how oceanic ecosystems will transform in the polar basin as lower latitude species invade, ‘following’ their preferred marine habitats northwards or occupying new ‘eco-space’. This is part of a wider process referred to as Arctic Ocean ’borealization’, which involves intrusion of both Atlantic and Pacific-origin waters and biota from boreal latitudes (50-70°N) into the central Arctic Ocean.

The purpose of this PhD project is to gain improved understanding of pelagic changes and plankton migration in the Arctic Ocean in response to Arctic Atlantification and borealization during warmer periods of the past 1-2 million years. The primary tool will be fossil planktonic foraminifera, supported by other sedimentary and geochemical datasets, from across the central Arctic and subpolar seas. The successful candidate will collect original data on foraminifera biodiversity and palaeobiology, shell chemistry and preservability, and use these parameters as tools to gain insight into plankton migration, pelagic evolutionary responses, paleoceanography, ocean geochemistry and climate change, as well as helping improve Arctic geo-chronological frameworks.

Application Deadline: 31 May 2024

View Details


Follow us for daily updates!





Spread the love

Leave a Reply