|Application Deadline||April 1, 2023|
About George A. Strait Scholarship & Fellowship 2023
AALL is committed to providing opportunities for professional growth. Each year, the Association awards scholarships to assist individuals in meeting their educational goals in the field of legal information. Individuals should apply for all of the scholarships for which they qualify.
Scholarships are available to assist individuals studying to become law librarians as either a library or law school student, or to library school graduates seeking an advanced degree in a related field. Candidates should apply for more than one scholarship when appropriate.
Preference is given to AALL members, but scholarships are not restricted to members. Applicants with law library experience are also given preference, but it is not required. Evidence of financial need must be submitted.
Scholarships and fellowships applicants must:
- Be enrolled in an ALA accredited library graduate school program; or law school in the U.S.
- Be a member of a recognized minority group (as defined by current U.S. guidelines).
- Intend to pursue a career in law librarianship.
- Complete the Strait Scholarship/Fellowship application, indicating their interest in either the scholarship or the Fellows program, or both.
Looking For More Undergraduate Scholarships? Click here
2. The most recent transcript (official or student copy) from your current institution, and the institution which granted your most recent degree. If not yet enrolled, an official letter of acceptance must be submitted. Please make sure transcripts are not password protected.
3. Two letters of recommendation. Select persons who have knowledge of your abilities and experience. Please submit letters of recommendation with the application.
4. A personal statement in which you include:
- Financial information you feel the jury could use in determining your financial need;
- Your interest in law librarianship and reasons for applying for this scholarship;
- Your career goals as a law librarian.
You may also include other pertinent information such as work and family commitments that you would like the Scholarship Jury to consider when evaluating your application. Personal statements should be complete and well-written.
Your personal statement should establish your financial need by thoroughly and clearly addressing your financial situation and need for a scholarship. You should also detail any leadership roles you have had in AALL or any library associations.
5. A current resume.
How to Apply?
The application and all supporting documents should be submitted via email to email@example.com. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
FAQ About Scholarship
Scholarship recipients will be announced in June and the awards will be disbursed shortly thereafter. To help ensure the application is completed by the deadline, all required documents should be submitted at the same time, in one complete PDF file. All applications and answers will be kept confidential.