|Grade Level||Undergraduate / Masters / PhD / Training|
|Eligible Nationalities||All countries|
|Sponsors||Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan|
|Award||Fully Funded Scholarship|
|Application Deadline||Varies from Embassy to Embassy|
Are you a student seeking an exciting opportunity or scholarship to support your degree program? Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan inviting online application for MEXT Undergraduate / Masters / PhD / Training Scholarship.
Don’t let this fantastic chance pass you by by missing the application deadline! In this article, we’ll go over this scholarship program’s features, benefits, and step-by-step application process.
About MEXT Scholarship
The MEXT Scholarship is a Japanese government scholarship program administered by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science, and Technology. (MEXT). The scholarship is intended to assist international students pursuing undergraduate or postgraduate studies in Japan.
MEXT Scholarship 2023-2024 is a fully funded international student scholarship. This scholarship is available for undergraduate, master’s, doctoral, and post-doctoral studies. MEXT scholarships cover tuition, housing, a monthly living allowance, and round-trip airfare from your home country to Japan.
Program of Study
1. Natural Sciences: Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics, Geology, Earth Sciences, Environmental Sciences, and other related fields.
2. Social Sciences and Humanities: Economics, Law, Political Science, International Relations, Sociology, Linguistics, Literature, Cultural Studies, History, Philosophy, and other related fields.
3. Engineering: Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Materials Science, Computer Science, and other related fields.
4. Agriculture: Agricultural Science, Forestry, Fisheries, Food Science, and other related fields.
5. Medicine and Health Sciences: Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy, Nursing, and other related fields.
6. Education: Education, Pedagogy, and other related fields.
7. Arts and Sports: Music, Fine Arts, Performing Arts, Sports, and other related fields.
MEXT is an abbreviation for the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science, and Technology, which is the Japanese government’s ministry in charge of education, culture, sports, science, technology, and academic research. The former Ministry of Education, Science, Sports, and Culture merged with the Science and Technology Agency in 2001 to form the Ministry of Education, Science, Sports, and Culture.
MEXT is in charge of developing policies and standards for education in Japan, from elementary school to graduate school, as well as ensuring that these policies are effectively implemented. In addition, the ministry is in charge of research and development in a variety of fields, including science, technology, and the humanities.
MEXT Scholarship Coverage
MEXT Scholarship 2023 is a Fully Funded Scholarship for International Students to Study in Japan For Free. This scholarship will provide the recipient with the following benefits:
- Allowances: Monthly Stipend Allowance, Preparatory Allowance (2023 Rate) Education
- Fees: Fees for the Entrance Examination, Tuition Fee at Universities will be paid by MEXT.
- Traveling Expenses: Transportation to Japan: MEXT will cover your Round Airfare Travel Expenses from your Country to Japan. The Airline ticket will be an Economy-class ticket for the flight.
- Accommodations: Residence halls for international students provided by universities.
MEXT Scholarship Eligibility Criteria
1. Applicants must have the nationality of a country that has diplomatic relations with Japan.
2. An applicant who has Japanese nationality at the time of application is not eligible.
3. Research students: You must be under 35 years of age and a college graduate (includes prospective graduates). Or you must have completed 16 years of schooling.
4. Teacher training students: You must be under 35 years of age and a graduate of a college or teacher training college. You must have at least five years of active experience as a teacher in a primary, secondary or teacher training college in your country. (Please note that college and university teachers currently in active service are not considered for this scholarship).
5. Undergraduate students: You must be at least 17 and under 25 years of age and have completed 12 years of school education or have completed courses in a school comparable to a high school (includes prospective graduates).
6. Japanese studies students: You must be from 18 to 30 years old. You must be enrolled as undergraduate students in faculties or schools which major in Japanese language or Japanese culture in a university outside Japan at the time when they come to Japan and must be enrolled in the home institution at the time when they return to their home countries.
7. College of technology students: You must be at least 17 and under 25 years of age and have completed school education comparable to a high school (a minimum of 11 years beginning in primary school) education (includes prospective graduates).
8. Specialized training college students: You must be at least 17 and under 25 years of age and have completed 12 years of schooling or have completed school education comparable to a Japanese high school (includes prospective graduates).
Looking For More Scholarships? Click here
- MEXT Scholarship Application form
- Academic Transcript
- Motivation Letter
- Scanned copy of Passport
- Two Recommendation Letter
- English Language Proficiency Test
- Work experience (if any)
- Other documents (honors, awards, publications…) if any
- Academic thesis or relevant publications (for research students)
- Study plan / Statement of purpose (for research students)
How to Apply MEXT Scholarship?
Please follow the following application instructions to apply for MEXT Scholarships:
- Create an account and to apply from here.
- Fill-out the required informations Attach & submit the supporting documents in the Scholarship Application Form.
- Check your email for the successful application.
FAQ About MEXT Scholarship
Who can apply for the MEXT Scholarship Program?
International students who want to study at Japanese universities at the undergraduate, graduate, or research levels are eligible to apply for the MEXT Scholarship Program. The eligibility requirements for each scholarship category may differ.
What is the MEXT Scholarship Program application process?
An application form, academic transcripts, letters of recommendation, and other required documents are typically submitted as part of the application process. The application deadline varies depending on the scholarship category and the applicant’s home country’s Japanese embassy or consulate.
What is covered by the MEXT Scholarship?
The MEXT Scholarship pays for tuition, a monthly living stipend, and round-trip airfare to and from Japan. The scholarship also includes a one-time settling-in allowance and a travel allowance for attending conferences and seminars in Japan.
Is knowledge of the Japanese language required for the MEXT Scholarship Program?
Applicants for undergraduate and research scholarships are not required to be fluent in Japanese, but they are encouraged to study the language before coming to Japan. Graduate scholarship applicants must have a certain level of Japanese language proficiency, depending on the university and graduate program requirements.
Can I work while receiving a MEXT Scholarship?
MEXT Scholarship recipients are permitted to work up to 28 hours per week while studying. It is, however, critical to prioritize academic studies and maintain good academic standing.
Disclaimer: This is one-page summary of the scholarship not a official scholarship page. Although we make every effort to maintain the information current and accurate, changes may occur at any time without prior warning. We strongly encourage you to check the official scholarship page for the most up-to-date, accurate, and comprehensive information. You solely bear the risk for any reliance you place on information obtained from NotesBard.com.