|Grade Level||Masters, PhD|
|Sponsors||University of Cambridge|
|Application Deadline||October 12, 2023 for US Citizen, December 1, 2023 or January 5, 2024|
Are you a student seeking an exciting opportunity or scholarship to support your degree program? Gates Cambridge Foundation, England inviting online application for Masters / PhD Scholarships. Don’t let this fantastic chance pass you by by missing the application deadline! In this article, we’ll go over the Gates Cambridge scholarship program’s features, benefits, and step-by-step application process.
About Gates Cambridge Scholarship
The Gates Cambridge Scholarship 2023-2024 is a fully funded international student scholarship. This scholarship is available for master’s and doctoral studies. This scholarship includes a stipend of £18,744 per year, health insurance, academic development funding of up to £2,000, and a family allowance of up to £15,612.
For the academic year 2023-24, Gates Cambridge will award 80 full-fee scholarships to outstanding candidates from outside the United Kingdom to pursue a full-time postgraduate degree in any subject offered by the University of Cambridge. Approximately two-thirds of these awards will be available to PhD students, with approximately 25 awards available in the US round and 55 available in the International round.
About Gates Cambridge Foundation
The Gates Cambridge Scholarship programme was established in October 2000 by a donation of US$210m from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to the University of Cambridge; this is the largest ever single donation to a UK university.
The first class of scholars came into residence in October 2001. Since then, the Trust has awarded over 2,000 scholarships to scholars from more than 100 countries.
Each year Gates Cambridge offers c.80 full-cost scholarships to outstanding applicants from countries outside the UK to pursue a postgraduate degree in any subject available at the University of Cambridge. Approximately two-thirds of these awards will be offered to PhD students, with approximately 25 awards available in the US round and 55 available in the International round.
Gates Cambridge Scholarship Coverage
A Gates Cambridge Scholarship covers the full cost of studying at Cambridge. It also provides additional, discretionary funding.
1. Core Components:
- The University Composition Fee at the appropriate rate*
- A maintenance allowance for a single student (£18,744 for 12 months at the 2022-23 rate; pro rata for courses shorter than 12 months) – for PhD scholars the award is for up to 4 years
- One economy single airfare at both the beginning and end of the course
- Inbound visa costs & the cost of the Immigration Health Surcharge
2. Discretionary Components:
The Trust also considers applications for several types of additional funding on a discretionary basis:
- Academic development funding: from up to £500 to up to £2,000, dependent on the length of your course, to attend conferences and courses.
- Family allowance: up to £10,944 for one child and up to £15,612 for two or more children (2022-23 rate). No funding is provided for a partner.
- Fieldwork: you may apply to keep up to your normal maintenance allowance while on fieldwork as part of your PhD (the Trust does not fund other fieldwork costs as these should be funded by the University Composition Fee).
- Maternity/Paternity funding: should you require it, you may apply to intermit your studies for up to 6 months and continue to receive your maintenance allowance during this time
- Hardship funding: for unforeseen difficulties facing the scholar
Gates Cambridge Eligibility Criteria
You can apply for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship if you are:
- A citizen of any country outside the United Kingdom
- Applying to pursue one of the following courses at the University of Cambridge:
- PhD (full-time or part-time)
- MLitt (full-time)
- One year postgraduate course (full-time), with some exceptions
Gates Cambridge Restriction Criteria
Courses which Gates Cambridge does NOT consider:
- Any Undergraduate degree, such as BA (undergraduate) or BA affiliated (a second BA)
- Business Doctorate (BusD)
- Master of Business (MBA)
- Master of Finance (MFin)
- MASt courses
- MBBChir Clinical Studies
- MD Doctor of Medicine degree (6 years, part-time, Home students only)
- Graduate Course in Medicine (A101)
- Part-time degrees other than the PhD
- Non-degree courses
Looking For More Scholarships? Click here
- Scholarship Application Form
- Academic Transcript
- Gates Cambridge Statement: Please explain why you are applying for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship and how you meet the four main criteria in no more than 3000 characters (approximately 500 words).
- Research proposal (PhD applicants only)
- Recommendation Letter.
- In addition to two academic references for admission, Gates Cambridge applicants submit a reference about their fit with the scholarship.
- English Language Proficiency Test
How to Apply Gates Cambridge Scholarship?
Please follow the following application instructions to apply for Gates Cambridge Scholarships:
- Create an account and to apply from here.
- Fill-out the required informations
- Attach & submit the supporting documents in the Scholarship Application Form.
- Check your email for the successful application.
- submission reate an account and to apply from here.
- Create an account and to apply from here.
Can Current Student at Cambridge Apply?
If you are currently studying at Cambridge and wish to apply for a new postgraduate course you can apply for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship. For example, if you are currently studying for an MPhil you can apply for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship to pursue a PhD. Current Gates Cambridge Scholars may also apply for a second scholarship if they are applying for a new degree.
All current Cambridge students will be considered the second, international round. However, if you have already started a course (e.g. you are currently part way through a PhD) you cannot apply for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship to fund the remainder of it.
Disclaimer: This is one-page summary of the scholarship not a official scholarship page. Although we make every effort to maintain the information current and accurate, changes may occur at any time without prior warning. We strongly encourage you to check the official scholarship page for the most up-to-date, accurate, and comprehensive information. You solely bear the risk for any reliance you place on information obtained from NotesBard.com.