Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship Programs 2023
|Eligible Nationalities||All Countries|
The Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR)
|Application Deadline||Application submission deadline: 20 September 2023 (20:00 EDT)|
Are you a student seeking an exciting opportunity or scholarship to support your degree program? The Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR), Canada inviting online application for Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship Programs 2023.
Don’t let this fantastic chance pass you by by missing the application deadline! In this article, we’ll go over this scholarship program’s features, benefits, and step-by-step application process.
About Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship Programs 2023
In accordance with the rules and guidelines specified in the Tri-Agency Research Training Award Holder’s Guide, the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR), which oversees the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships (PDF) programme, is in charge of paying awards.
A prominent and fiercely competitive fellowship programme in Canada is the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship Programme. The programme gives support to outstanding individuals who have just finished their PhD or equivalent degree and is designed to draw top-tier postdoctoral researchers from both domestically and abroad. These scholars get the chance to do research in any field at a reputable Canadian university thanks to the programme.
The goal of the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship Programme is to provide funding for cutting-edge and significant research initiatives that advance Canada’s social, economic, and scientific endeavours. A two-year fellowship with a $70,000 annual salary and a $7,500 annual research budget is funded for those who are selected.
Candidates must find a host institution in Canada and be recommended by that institution in order to apply for the programme. Candidates are evaluated rigorously during the selection process based on their academic prowess, potential for future research, and leadership qualities.
Postdoctoral researchers should take advantage of the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship Programme because it will help them progress their careers, work with top Canadian academics, and significantly advance their fields of study.
Program of Study
Areas of research
- Health research
- Natural sciences and/or engineering
- Social sciences and/or humanities
About Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR)
A federal organisation called the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) funds and promotes health research in Canada. The objectives of CIHR, which was founded in 2000, are to advance knowledge, apply research to practise, and enhance Canadians’ health. It provides funding for research initiatives in a variety of fields connected to health, including as biological research, clinical research, research on health systems and services, and research on the social, cultural, and environmental aspects that affect health. To address health issues and advance evidence-based decision-making in healthcare policy and practise, CIHR encourages partnerships and collaborations, offers financing opportunities for researchers, and offers training and career development programmes.
Applications that do not meet all of the eligibility criteria will be deemed ineligible.
For a list of eligible health professions, please see CIHR’s webpage.
- Applicants who are not Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada may only hold their Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship at a Canadian institution.
- Applicants who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada and who obtained their PhD, PhD-equivalent or health professional degree from a foreign university may only hold their Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship at a Canadian institution.
- Applicants who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada and who obtained their PhD, PhD-equivalent or health professional degree from a Canadian university may hold their Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship at either a Canadian institution or an institution outside of Canada.
- Applicants to the 2023-24 Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program must fulfill or have fulfilled all degree requirements for a PhD, PhD-equivalent or health professional degree:
- between September 15, 2020 and September 30, 2024 (inclusively), and
- before the start date of their award.
Applicants who have not fulfilled all requirements for their degree at the time of application must submit proof no later than October 15, 2024.
For applicants who have completed more than one PhD, PhD-equivalent or health professional degree, the eligibility window applies to the most recent of these degrees.
- Applicants can submit only one application per competition year to the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program.
- Additionally, for health professionals who have engaged in post-degree non-research-related clinical training (e.g., residency), the eligibility window can be extended by the duration of this training.
- For other professions that require post-degree, non-research-related training to be certified by a professional body, please consult the Vanier-Banting Secretariat to confirm whether an extension to the eligibility window is allowable.
- Application form: Complete the online application form provided by the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship Program.
- Research proposal: Prepare a detailed research proposal outlining the objectives, methodology, and significance of your proposed research project.
- Curriculum Vitae (CV): Provide an updated CV highlighting your academic background, research experience, publications, and any other relevant achievements.
- Letters of reference: Arrange for at least two letters of reference from individuals who can assess your research abilities and potential. These letters should be submitted directly by the referees.
- Doctoral degree completion confirmation: Submit documentation confirming the completion of your doctoral degree or equivalent, such as a degree certificate or a letter from the institution’s registrar.
- Host institution statement: Obtain a statement of support from the proposed host institution in Canada, confirming their willingness to host you as a Banting Postdoctoral Fellow.
- Academic transcripts: Provide official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended, showing your academic performance and degree completion.
- Personal leadership statement: Write a personal statement outlining your leadership qualities, community engagement, and other relevant experiences that demonstrate your potential as a future research leader.
- Ethical conduct statement: Submit a statement confirming your commitment to ethical research conduct.
- Other supporting documents: Include any additional supporting documents that showcase your research accomplishments, such as awards, grants, or significant publications.
How to Apply for Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship Programs 2023?
- Confirm eligibility
- Contact your desired host institution/supervisor
- Register for Canadian Common CV (CCV) account, ResearchNet account, and complete the Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Self-Identification Questionnaire
- Create CCV (Vanier-Banting academic template) and link to ResearchNet application
- Start a ResearchNet application
- Identify area of research
- Identify participants
- Identify referees
- Enter degree information
- Enter proposal information and supporting documents
- Preview application materials
- Consent and submit application
- Ensure attached documents meet presentation standards
FAQ About Fellowship
Disclaimer: This is not the official scholarship website; it is only a one-page description of the scholarship. Despite our best efforts to keep the material up to date and correct, changes might happen at any time without prior notice. The most current, accurate, and complete information may be found on the official scholarship website, which we strongly advise you to verify. Any reliance you put on knowledge received from NotesBard.com is totally at your own risk.